In vitro fertilization is a complex medical procedure that requires high professionalism and deep knowledge from doctors. In some cases, even repeated IVF does not bring the expected result. For many patients, information “why this method can be unsuccessful, and what should be done in such a case” will become really relevant.
WHY THE EMBRYO DOES NOT ESTABLISH AFTER IVF - MEDICAL FACTORS
An unsuccessful IVF protocol is most often associated with the following reasons:
- low-quality embryos;
- endometrial pathologies;
- tubal diseases;
- endocrine system diseases.
For IVF, embryos with at least 6 cells and high division rates are optimally suitable. Their poor quality can be caused by bad eggs or sperm that does not have all the necessary indicators.
Successful implantation of the embryo and subsequent bearing largely depend on the condition of the endometrium. A favorable outcome of IVF becomes possible only when its size is 7-14 mm. Various diseases should also be excluded: chronic endometritis, adenomyosis, polyposis, inflammatory processes in the cervical canal.
Diseases of the fallopian tubes, provoking failure of IVF, occur in a variety of forms. The cervical factor of infertility, obstruction, that is not treated completely, hydrosalpinges lead to unsuccessful conception. This pathology provokes the accumulation of fluid inside the tubes, because of which the embryo is deprived of the opportunity to develop normally.
Stimulation of ovulation, which is one of the main stages of IVF, can cause exacerbation of once existing endocrinological disorders. That is why patients who wish to undergo in vitro fertilization are advised consultation with an endocrinologist. It is especially important to get some advice if in the past a woman has suffered from diseases such as diabetes, hypo-hyperthyroidism, hypo-hyperandrogenism.
If there have been unsuccessful IVF attempts, the reason for this may be the presence of immune disorders, polycystic ovaries, adhesions in the pelvis, and chronic infections in the body. An unsuccessful conception may be caused by negative heredity or habitual miscarriage.
WHAT ELSE CAN CAUSE AN UNSUCCESSFUL IVF?
Failed IVF attempts are triggered by non-medical factors. The reasons for unsuccessful conception and pregnancy are also:
- the patient's age is less than 22 or more than 40 years;
- bad habits of one or both partners (smoking, alcoholism, drug addiction).
The reasons why embryos did not establish after IVF may also be emotional and psychological factors. The positive psychological attitude of a woman before the upcoming procedure is of the utmost importance. If the patient is stressed, or experiencing increased nervous tension, the chances of pregnancy are significantly reduced.
IVF specialists sometimes have to face a banal failure. This wording is used in the absence of any expressed signs that could be an obstacle to a successful outcome.
DOCTORS` ACTIONS AFTER UNSUCCESSFUL EXTRACORPORAL FERTILIZATION
If the method of in vitro fertilization has not led to a successful pregnancy due to the low quality of embryos, it is worth contacting more experienced reproductologists. In a similar situation, highly qualified doctors of our center can help.
In their work, doctors at Medical Plaza use the most effective reproductive techniques. The hatching procedure is highly effective; This method is used in cases where several IVF attempts have been unsuccessful.
Also, specialists carry out other actions determined by the cause of unsuccessful in vitro fertilization:
- In case of insufficient ovarian response. It is important to find out how much it does not meet the norm, and what should be done to improve it in the future. If the response was weak/excessive, or provoked OHSS, it is worth thinking about changing the protocol, using other hormonal drugs, or reviewing their dosage.
- With low rates of fertilization and insufficiently high quality of oocytes. If, after a failed IVF attempt, the rate of fertilization was low, the next time the ICSI method may come to the rescue. If the quality of the eggs is unsatisfactory, donor material can be used, or IVF can be performed in a natural cycle.
- With the structure and thickness of the endometrium, which does not correspond to normal indicators. If there are any deviations, the question of performing hysteroscopy before a repeated IVF attempt is resolved. If the endometrium is too thin, Doppler mapping of the uterine vessels, a pipelle biopsy, inoculation from the uterine cavity, and subsequent correction of the detected defects are prescribed.
- In case of detection of changes from the fallopian tubes. In preparation for the IVF program, it is very important to identify the presence of a hydrosalpinx in time, requiring the removal of pathological tubes during laparoscopy. When this problem occurs, the possibility of cryopreservation of the resulting embryos and their subsequent transfer in the cryocycle, is also considered.
- In unsatisfactory condition of partner sperm at the time of puncture. Despite the choice of the most suitable sperm for fertilization during the ICSI procedure, in some cases the embryologist is forced to use the best of the worst sperm, which becomes one of the reasons for the unsuccessful procedure.
In case of failure, the patient should maintain close cooperation with the consulting physician. Only experienced specialists will be able to carefully analyze the situation, determine the cause of the problem, and choose methods for its effective solution.
WHAT HAPPENS IN A WOMAN'S ORGANISM AFTER AN UNSUCCESSFUL IVF?
The reaction of the body to the failed in vitro fertilization is not the same, and depends on individual characteristics of the woman. After an IVF that has failed, patients may be concerned about:
- heavy menstruation;
- delay in regular periods;
- breast tenderness;
- deterioration of the endometrium.
One of the common phenomena is heavy menstruation after a failed IVF. During this period, menstruation can be quite painful, with the release of blood clots. Often they last longer than usual (sometimes up to 10 days). This condition is not an indicator of serious problems, but requires a mandatory visit to a specialist. It is also worth seeing a doctor in case of scanty menstrual flow. In such a case, hormonal disorders or pathologies of the endometrium may occur.
Patients who do not receive the expected result, you need to know when the menstruation begins after a failed IVF. Basically, the recovery cycle occurs in a timely manner. If there is a delay in the cycle after an unsuccessful IVF, a medical examination will be required. This condition can be caused by individual characteristics of the female body, or provoked by some disease. It is also necessary to consult a doctor if spotting appears within the first few days after IVF. In some cases, this indicates an abortion or the occurrence of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS).
Patients who, after an unsuccessful attempt at in vitro fertilization, have chest pains, do not immediately assume the presence of pathology. Sometimes this phenomenon is considered as a variant of the norm (in a similar way the body reacts to the hormonal changes that have occurred). If the pain does not disappear after the restoration of the cycle, you will definitely need to visit a doctor.
Another possible problem is a thinned endometrium after a failed IVF. This disorder occurs against the background of increased stimulation with hormonal drugs, as well as with ovarian dysfunction.
HOW MUCH TIME IT IS NECESSARY TO RECOVER?
For complete rehabilitation after a failed IVF, it takes from 60 to 90 days. During this period, a complete recovery of the body that has undergone stress and hormonal stress occurs. Within 2-3 months, the work of the ovaries is normalized, the immune system is strengthened, the emotional background is balanced.
Any unpleasant conditions that occur after a failed IVF are not grounds for refusing the next attempt. Experienced specialists of our center will help to get rid of any negative phenomena, and successfully undergo a new procedure.
WHAT TO DO AFTER AN UNSUCCESSFUL IVF?
It will be possible to accelerate recovery processes and increase the chances of pregnancy in the future due to:
- regular physical activity;
- balneotherapy procedures;
- swimming activities;
- full sleep and nutrition;
- taking soothing herbal formulations;
- minimizing stressful conditions.
Conversations with an experienced psychologist will help you quickly to forget about the failed procedure. The specialist will give effective recommendations on how to rub through a failed IVF and tune in for upcoming success. If you have free time, yoga, auto-training, and meditation are also recommended.
WHEN CAN I REPEAT THE PROCEDURE?
Modern doctors say that pregnancy after a failed IVF is more than possible. In addition, it can come quickly enough.
In the absence of medical contraindications, in vitro fertilization is allowed to be carried out after a short period of time. That is why the next IVF after a failure becomes possible in three months.
Some patients are prescribed insemination after a failed IVF. Unlike ectopic fertilization, this method implies conception in the body of a woman.
IVF AT MEDICAL PLAZA CENTER - THE HIGHEST CHANCE FOR SUCCESS
The reproductologists of the “Medical Plaza” Medical Center have extensive experience in conducting in vitro fertilization. Our experts apply the most advanced methods of fighting infertility, and have managed to make a huge number of childless couples happy parents. In the Medical Plaza clinic, you are guaranteed a positive result, even if two unsuccessful IVF and more are left in the past.
If there was an unsuccessful IVF, do not lose hope for a successful outcome. Thanks to experienced professionals of our medical institution, the dream of having a baby will certainly become a reality!